Projects submitted to the Data Journalism Awards competition

Right here you will find a list of all the projects submitted to the Data Journalism Awards competition.  

Child marriages in India
Country: India
Organisation: Rediff Labs / Rediff.com India Limted
Investigation of the year
InteractiveInvestigationMapsCrime
Applicant
Chithra
Radhakrishnan
Team Members
Mr. Gagan Bansal, helped me in creating the map. And Mr. Jaideep Karkhanis helped me analyzing the data through his suggestions
Project Description
Child marriage is a terrible human rights violation and, despite stringent legislation, continues to remain a scourge in many developing nations.At an age when young girls should be going to school and laying down the building blocks of their future, they are forced to get married, sexually satisfy their husbands, look after their in-laws and give birth.With their young bodies not ready for pregnancy, many of them succumb to pregnancy or child birth related complications.According to the UNICEF, child marriage is widespread across India; nearly half the brides in the country are underage when they get married.Child marriages continue to flourish due to limited educational opportunities, poor quality of education, inadequate infrastructure, school dropouts due to economic reasons or traditions and norms followed by the child’s community.In India, child marriage -- where the bride is below the age of 18 years and/or the groom is below the age of 21 years -- is illegal.The goal of this project is to make modern society aware of the continued prevalence of child marriages in India.
What makes this project innovative?
This project aims to awaken those who believe child marriages take place only in rural and tribal areas in India.Our numbers prove that child marriages take place in urban areas as well and, in the decade spanning 2001-2011, the Census data of India states these numbers have increased.The innovative aspect of this project is that we have used an India map where we have plotted the data, district-wise, in the form of circles. The size of these circles increase or decrease according to the latest data available.We have also used color to make these changes easy to understand.We have used the tabs in each map frame so the user can switch between maps with a single click.We have covered districts in which child marriage is prevalent, whether it happens more in urban or rural areas and cast a comparative look at the number of female and/or male children getting married in different parts of the district.
What was the impact of your project? How did you measure it?
The impact is calculated by the number of people who read this data article.The project has been read by 57,509 unique people and the link has been accessed 66,489 times.
Source and methodology
This project aimed to increase awareness about the need to protect children from this crime.In a country like India where getting the statistical data on any topic was very difficult until a few years ago, we searched and collected the data from the Census report of India, which is taken once in 10 years.The Census data on marital status provide the ages of the bride and groom at the time of marriage. We were shocked to see a number of children getting married below the legal age at the time of the Census.The age group considered in this project are below 18 years for females and below 21 years for males.We combined the numbers to find how many children below the legal age are married in per 100 thousand population of children.We found out, for example, that around 10.1 percent child population in the Bhilwara district in the state of Rajasthan were illegally married during the time of the Census.Overall, we discovered that 67 percent of child marriages took place in rural India and remaining 33 percent of child marriages took place in urban India.
Technologies Used
The technologies we used are Microsoft Excel and Rediff’s maps platform based on OpenStreetMap.